Monday, May 4, 2009

Brynn's Special Day (aka Her 1st Dance Recital)

Brynn had a dance recital Saturday night. She is really shy, and I wasn't sure how she would do at the recital. We decided to proclaim the day "Brynn's Special Day" in the hopes that she would get excited about the extra attention, and not focus on being scared of dancing in front of everyone. During the rehearsal that afternoon, she stood with her class on the stage for a minute, and then started crying and froze. After she collapsed at her spot and was crying into the mat, I motioned for her to come sit with me instead. She stayed on my lap for the rest of the rehearsal. Needless to say, I was not expecting much from her for the recital. I was wrong. After spending the entire day telling me she wasn't going to dance, it only took her a few minutes at the recital watching the first group perform before she was asking when it would be her turn. She kept looking for her dad and grandparents (they came to watch, but were sitting in a different area than the dancers and their moms were) and waving at them excitedly like she was a little celebrity. When it was her turn to go up and dance with her class, she did it without hesitation, and did such a good job. I was completely shocked! I was also so proud. I seriously had to choke back a few tears, because I knew what a big deal it was for her to get up there. She was proud of herself as well. She had such a good time performing the 3 dances she was in, and also watching all the other girls during their dances. Afterward, 4 of her grandparents and Dave and I went out for ice cream and we gave her a balloon and a rose. Her special day also included dinner out with Dave and I before the recital (Collin stayed home with a babysitter during dinner, the recital, and ice cream--she loves her brother, but I think she enjoyed not having to share us for a day). Thanks to Miss Sheri, the dance instructor, for putting together such a cute recital. Brynn was LOVING the costumes!


A few pictures before the recital:

She thought it was so fun that her costume had a tail:
Performing their 1st dance (Brynn is on the left in the back row):

Finishing the 1st dance (Brynn was so excited that her partner for this part was her good friend Holly):
The 2nd dance they performed (Brynn is still in the back row on the left):
The finale--all the dancers combined for this one (Brynn is in the front in this picture with both hands raised):
With her Grandma Cheryl and Grandpa Jerry, who came to see her dance:
And with her Grandma and Grandpa L:
And her proud parents:
Smiling big with her ice cream, balloon, and flower:

We love you Brynn! You did such a good job overcoming your fear. You are a brave girl! I really couldn't have been more proud of you that night! I am excited to see all things that you will do in your life, and the person you will become. You are already an amazing little person, and you have taught me so much! Love ya!

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Brynn was totally adorable. I loved that she got up there and danced and smiled the whole time. Yeah for her! What a fun day to have it be her special day. I would be proud too. :)

Kate said...

That was such a fun night and so awesome seeing her up there! She's so cute!

Mom said...

I was so proud of Brynn, too!!! She just concentrated on performing her dance.
& OH WAS SHE CUTE!!!! & she was so proud of herself (fun to see that!).