Tuesday, August 25, 2009

More Good News

Last Wednesday we headed up north to spend a few days with my parents at their cabin. It was a nice trip, and my kids absolutely ate up every chance they got to play games or be outside. I'll have to add pictures later, when I can borrow them from my mom. Fortunately she is big on taking pictures, since I don't think I took a single one the entire time (I do have an excuse though. Apparently me being pregnant and higher altitudes do not mix. I spent almost the entire time on the couch feeling like it was the first trimester all over again. A big thank you to my parents for the extra help with my kids.).

Any way, I will post more on the cabin trip later. I know there are a few people who were still wondering about Collin's MRI results. Shortly after arriving at the cabin, his cardiologist called with the results, and I had to choke back tears of gratitude and relief as I listened to the message. The results were all better than we expected. He had had a few routine echocardiograms that had indicated that there was a small bulge on his aorta next to the area that was repaired. The main point of the MRI was to check on the size of the bulge, since it can be dangerous if it gets too big. After his cardiologist recommended the MRI, I decided to go online and see exactly what this "bulge" might mean. Bad idea. When the Google page pulled up lots of references that contained words like "aneuryism" and "fatal", I decided it might be a better idea to save the internet searches until I knew whether or not I would need to learn more about it. Fortunately, the MRI showed that there is no evidence of an aneuryism at all. An echo isn't as accurate as an MRI, and the MRI showed that what appeared to be a bulge was actually just a few blood vessels that came off of the aorta together. I wasn't expecting such wonderful news! The MRI also showed that other parts of his heart that the cardiologist is watching are also better than we had anticipated. I can't even explain the joy I felt after listening to that message. I couldn't help giving my little man lots of extra hugs afterwards. We really appreciate all the concern and support that we received as we awaited his MRI and the results. Our experiences with Collin have really shown us how blessed we are to be surrounded by so many wonderful friends and family.

6 comments:

Angie said...

Golly, where have I been? I didn't even know any of this was going on. I'm so glad things are OK.

I'm sure you're happy the summer's almost over. Being pregnant in the heat is awful!

Rhonda said...

That is awesome news Melanie. I'm so glad to hear the good news. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Caryn said...

Yea Yea Yea!

Maren said...

hooray for good results! hooray for "its a girl"! hooray! hooray! hooray!

Kate said...

What a wonderful blessing! So glad to hear it!

Kelly said...

I knew that our "brother" (as Quinci calls him!) was doing great! I love that kid and I am sooo happy that all is well. He sure looks good and healthy! I am glad yoou can breathe a little easier now :o)