Friday, September 12, 2008

Back to Reality...

We just got home late last night from a week in San Diego. It was such a fun trip!! I will be posting about it later, once I get to the 575+ pictures I took there. Yes, I took a TON of pictures.

So today I am trying to do the catch-up work that comes with returning from a vacation. By lunchtime, I had managed a shower and started a load of laundry and some unpacking. Brynn was washing her hands in the bathroom, and slipped on some water and fell onto the tile floor. When she started screaming and crying, I went in and expected to give her a hug and everything would be OK. Nope. Her hands were up to her face, and she had blood pouring out of her mouth. I could tell that something was wrong with her top tooth. That was one of those inevitable moments that I have dreaded as a mom: having to remain calm and figure out how to get care for my terrified, injured child. Both kids were screaming and scared, as I tried to keep it together. We ended up making a trip to the dentist's house (the dentist's office is closed on Friday afternoons). She was already calm and chatty by the time we were headed to see the dentist, so I knew she would be fine. She kept telling me that her tooth is "bendy" and she needs to get a new one like Collin (who is still getting his baby teeth in). As we were walking up to the dentist's front door, we passed by the grass that was full of irrigation water and she told me I needed to carry her so she wouldn't slip. After a little exam in the dentist's dining room, he confirmed that one of her top front teeth was hit hard enough to push it back a bit. She also has a fat lip and a cut where her tooth hit her bottom lip. And there is a nasty looking cut on her gumline over the top teeth. He said her tooth will turn darker in the next few weeks, and may even die in the next 6 months. She has to have a soft food diet for the next few weeks while her mouth heals. If the tooth dies, she may end up having to get it removed. I am SO glad that she is OK and wasn't hurt worse, but I have to admit that I am sad that her little smile isn't going to be the same. The dentist said that the adult teeth to replace those probably won't come in until she's seven. So, for the next 4 years, she will have a dark tooth front-and-center or else no tooth. Good thing I took so many pictures while we were in California! She's a beautiful girl though, and I know that her smile will continue to make us smile. So, yeah, its been back to reality for us.

Brynn let me take a few pictures of her new smile with her "bendy" tooth this afternoon.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Well welcome home! Sorry about the accident. I'm glad Brynn's feeling better now, poor thing. Isn't there a chance that the tooth will just get stronger again and stay white?

Rhonda said...

Oh poor Brynn. She is still adorable but I'd be bummed too. That must have really hurt. Good thing it was the baby tooth though, right? At least there is a shiny new one coming in..even if it's a few years away. We'll make sure she gets some soft food at preschool. :)

Angie said...

Wow. A bendy tooth. What a nightmare for you to deal with! Glad she looks so happy in her picture though.