Friday, June 25, 2010

My Mom


As I mentioned earlier, my mom had a stroke recently, and we have all been really focused on her recovery and are just so grateful that she is doing so well. These are some of the pictures I took this month to help document her recovery.

For 24 hours after the stroke, my mom was completely unresponsive. It was so scary to witness, especially since I had just been at her house visiting the evening before. It took the doctors most of the day to figure out what was even wrong with her, and when they did the prognosis was not good. My brother Brian and his family came over from California and stayed with us for awhile so they could be near her during that time. I could hardly sleep that 1st night, and was so nervous when I saw my dad's cell phone # come up on the caller ID the next morning. I could hardly believe it when he said that she had just started to wake up a bit. I got to hear my mom's 1st sentence when she told me she loves me over the phone. It was one of the best things I had ever heard! After a visit to see her that morning, I knew things weren't going to be easy, but I felt so grateful and hopeful. She continued to progress and that evening, a physical therapist came in to evaluate her. They couldn't believe how well she was doing, especially when they don't see many people recover from a stroke like the one she had. After the therapist's evaluation, they brought in all the friends and family she had in the waiting area, and some of the nurses, and had a "champagne toast" (with sparkling cider) to celebrate. My mom was even able to have a sip of the sparkling cider herself. (One of the main problems she had after the stroke was with her eyes and her vision. She couldn't keep her eyes open too well for a few days.)


It was such a happy moment to recognize the miracle that we had witnessed. She spent another day or two in the hospital and received so much support. People brought flowers, cards, and food for her and the family. There were lots of prayers said on her behalf and lots of visits. It was so nice to feel the love and support we received and knew it was a big part of her recovery.



While my mom was still in a coma that 1st day, my Aunt Sandy made a banner for her that read "Wake Up Sleeping Beauty". Each visitor signed the banner and wrote their well-wishes to her.

Her granddaughters Brynn and Micaela wrote notes and drew pictures for her too.

My sister Alison and my mom

Alison, my mom, and I

My parents (I love how you can see the joy and relief in their faces that things had improved so much)

Alison and our mom

My brother Brian with our mom



News of my mom's recovery spread quickly on her floor, and all the other nurses who heard about it were so excited for her/us. She had many wonderful nurses during her hospital stay!


After being in the hospital for a couple of days, my mom was transferred to a rehab facility where she lived for a couple of weeks. This next photo shows my siblings and I with my mom just after she was settled into her room there.


Our family

My sister-in-law Natacha holding Eden, Brynn, Brian, Micaela, my mom, Camille, me and Collin


Micaela, Brynn, my mom, and my mom's friend Joanna

My parents with some of their grandkids


The kids loved to get into the bed with their grandma. They thought it was fun that she had a bed sat her up or back down. They were also curious about the wheelchair she used while she was there.

with Collin

with Brynn and MaJesta (the belt she has on is so that anyone assisting her in standing or walking could hold the back of it to help her from falling).

Trance, MaJesta, Brynn, mom, and Collin
For Father's Day, we go take out and ate together in the family area of the rehab center.

Several days after she was transferred to the rehab center, one of my mom's nurses (Jane) from the hospital came to visit her. Jane had been the nurse she had for most of her hospital stay and was so good to our family and my mom! (My mom had to wear an eye patch and switch it from one eye to the other every few days. She had to do this for months, because her eyes weren't working together, and they were hoping the patch would help strengthen each eye individually.)


We know there are alot of challenges ahead, but we are so thankful for the progress she has made so far. It has truly been a miracle!

No comments: