Monday, June 28, 2010

Update on my Mom

Its been awhile since I posted something new. I have been putting off some posts for a couple of weeks as our family was hit with some challenges. My mom had a stroke almost two weeks ago, and we have been spending most of our free time with her as she goes through the recovery process. My mom is really young, and her stroke took us completely by surprise. The first 24 hours after her stroke were very scary and we weren't given much hope by the neurologist. However, the next morning, she started becoming responsive and made huge strides in her recovery. The nurses and doctors whose care she was under were very surprised, and one of them even remarked that it wasn't their doing that caused her progress, but the prayers of her family and friends. It has been a wonderful miracle to see.

After a few days in the hospital, she was transferred to a rehab center, where she has continued to progress. We know that her recovery will be slow, but we are all willing to help my mom along this journey. She is an amazing person, and the older I get, the more I realize how blessed I am to have her as my mom. She has always been supportive of me and had faith and hope when I sometimes had a hard time feeling it for myself, and now is my chance to do the same for her. Our family has really pulled together and grown closer through all of this, and I have seen qualities in my siblings and my dad that I might not have gotten to see otherwise. We have also been blessed by the family and friends who have been there for my mom and our family these past few weeks. She has visitors almost constantly throughout the day, and people have brought flowers, treats, meals, and cards.

This year has seemed like we have been hit with one challenge after another, and I can't help but think of where I would be without the gospel and my beliefs. It has given me the hope and perspective I've needed to get through. I am so grateful for the religious foundation that my parents have provided me with and for their examples of how to grow through the difficult times in our lives.

No comments: