Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Quilting

Wow, I sure am creative with the post titles. Any way, a couple of years ago, I heard of someone making a quilt out of their child's baby clothes, and loved the idea. I decided I wanted to make one for each of my kids. The girls' quilts will have to wait until Eden outgrows her baby clothes, since she is wearing alot of clothes that were Brynn's. I don't have much experience with quilting, so I decided to make a smaller quilt with some of Collin's outgrown clothes as a practice run before I make his official bigger quilt. I made plenty of mistakes, but had fun making it. I finished it a couple months ago, and it has been fun to see Collin using it. He loves it. He has a special way of folding it and does it carefully and precisely. He loves to share it, and will cover me up with it or lay it out for Eden to play on. He can't pronounce "blanket", so he will ask where his "bankalette" is. The squares are all made from his baby/toddler t-shirts, baby sleepers and pjs, etc. The border is made from his crib sheet.

After I finished Collin's quilt, I didn't feel quite ready to tackle his "official" one, so I made another child-size quilt using purchased fabrics instead. Brynn helped me with this one by cutting the extra threads, holding the quilt while I sewed it, and helping with Eden while I worked on it. When she would ask who it was for, I would just tell her it was a surprise for someone special. When it was completed, I gave it to her and told her that she was that someone special. The smile I got in return made it worth all the work I put into it. She loves her quilt too. There are so many mistakes in both of the quilts, and they are far from perfect, but luckily they don't care. Now, I think I need to make one for Eden next (and yes, I am stalling big time on starting on the official baby clothes quilts, since it is an intimidating project).
The front:
The back has green fabric with tiny white polka dots on it and one row of the same prints:

2 comments:

Kate said...

The picture of Brynn holding the quilt is so adorable! And the quilt is so cute! You are amazing. I love the baby clothes idea.

Angie said...

The quilts are gorgeous! Love them!