Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer with the Kids


This summer, we have been trying to think of fun things to do around the house that don't involve the TV being turned on all day. We have had fun trying some new projects. One day, we peeled a bunch of broken crayons that we had and put the broken pieces into mini muffin tins. We left them outside to melt in the sun and made "rainbow crayons" out of them.

We've also spent more time baking together. We've made bread, rolls, and cookies, among other things. The kids' favorite part is using the measuring cups and dumping the ingredients, especially brown sugar, in a bowl. I also found a recipe for homemade laundry detergent, and we made a couple batches of that. I've been trying to cut back on the amount of chemicals in our home, products, and foods, and the detergent has helped with that goal.

They also helped me make baby food for Eden. It was my 1st time making my own baby food, but it was super easy, much cheaper, and much more healthy. I will definitely be making most of her food myself.

I also bought Brynn a kid sewing machine for only $14, and we made some little "cozies" for their otter pops and frozen gogurts (did you know they make gogurts now without so much of the junk in them? They are called Simply Gogurt. Stonyfield also makes an organic version that my kids love.). Their little hands get so cold when they hold them, and we just used some felt pieces to sew little pockets for their frozen treats. Brynn was so proud that she made them with her own sewing machine.

I am not naturally gifted with domestic skills, but I have been making much more of an effort to learn. Its been fun to teach the kids along with me, and they have fun with it.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Holy Smokes! When did you get all domestic? I'm very impressed! Love all the fun things you guys are doing together this summer.