Thursday, September 23, 2010

100 Things That Make Me Happy

Since my last post was pretty negative, I thought this would be a good follow up post. I really do have so many things to be thankful for. So, here are some things that make me happy:

*organizing things
*my Grandma B's cinnamon bread
*when Collin walks in wearing his knight hat, a mask, his foam sword, whatever, after waking up in the morning
*the progress my mom has made in recovering from her stroke
*hot chocolate on a cold evening/morning
*fun childhood memories
*laughing so hard it makes my face hurt
*going to bed early (since my body apparently doesn't know how to sleep past 6 am)
*avocados
*finding little notes or lists that Brynn wrote herself (she is just learning to sound out words)
*pale pink roses
*pretty packaging (I've been known to buy something simply because of its cute label or container)
*my label maker
*the copy of my Grandma L's corn chowder recipe in her own handwriting
*architecture
*the kindness of strangers
*when the whole family is well
*photography
*baby feet--the only feet I will kiss or even touch
*seeing the beauty in something that others may have overlooked
*texture in decorating
*Sonic ice
*The look Collin gives when he's being mischivious but wondering if he's cute enough to get away with it
*Homemade jam on homemade bread
*The smell of the air at the beach and the sound of waves crashing
*Learning something new
*My kids' fearlessness (or when they do something despite their fears)
*Freshly washed sheets
*Where I live--the city, the state, my neighborhood, my house
*Brynn's crazy hair after a long day of playing
*When all 3 kids are happy (or sleeping) all at once
*Back rubs
*Going for a walk when the weather is nice
*My sleep # bed, especially since Dave doesn't share my appreciation for a soft, "droopy" mattress
*When my kids tell me I'm the best "cooker", mom, etc (Sh, Don't tell them otherwise.)
*How Eden's whole body shakes in excitement when she 1st sees me in the morning
*Creating (anything really--its really a need for me)
*The rare nap (even better if its a 3 hour one)
*Date nights with the hubby
*Walking through model homes
*Clouds--after taking painting classes I learned to really notice simple things like clouds
*Eden's new toothy smile
*How Brynn always wants to give me a hug or kiss before she gets out of the car for kindergarten. Then she waves every few steps as she walks up to the playground. Melts my heart!
*Getting a good deal
*When my house is totally clean and picked up (that would not be right now)
*Listening to Brynn talk about school and her new friends
*Our tradition of going out to breakfast on Saturday mornings (although I do miss having a morning to lounge around in pajamas)
*That I have a husband who helps out so much with our kids
*Getting time to myself--makes me a better mom and wife
*Eden's dark little eyebrows and the two little curls that she gets above her ears
*Our babysitter--we've had my cousin Robyn babysit for us regularly since Brynn was a baby, and Robyn is the best babysitter we could ever ask for. Our kids love her, and she genuinely loves them as well.
*Ice cream and smoothies
*Good friends that have really been there for me
*The faint little freckles on Collin's cheeks
*My religion. Sounds cliche, but I honestly don't know how I would have made it through this year without my faith and the love of my Heavenly Father
*Girls Night Out
*Cheesecake Factory Brownie Sundae Cheesecake
*A new outfit
*Going through a challenge and making it out the other side a stronger person
*Family get togethers
*Vacations
*Fall, since I live in the desert and that is the start of the longest stretch of our nice weather
*Fun or pretty jewelry
*My church calling--love the Beehives I get to serve and the leaders that I work with
*That I've been able to spend so much time with my mom this year
*Eden's chubby little legs peeking out from one of her cute girly skirts
*Going to my parents' cabin
*Dave's ability to always make me laugh
*Potato soup
*Seeing Collin proudly wearing his backpack that is really way too huge on him
*Listening to Brynn's prayers
*Taking classes. When we were waiting to have kids, I took oil painting, drawing, scrapbooking, and photography classes. I miss it, and hope to get back to it when the kids get a little older.
*Good hair days, although I haven't had time for many of those lately.
*The internet. It is so helpful to have medical tips, health ideas, recipes, etc at the tip of my fingers.
*Falling asleep to the sound of rain
*The smile I get from Collin when I ask to see his cutest smile ever
*That most of Dave and my families live nearby
*Being able to help someone in a way they really need it
*Discovering a talent in someone that I didn't know they had
*My cell phone. Dave surprised me with it a few months ago, and it has been fun and helpful to have the internet, my emails, etc with me, especially since I am constantly running around these days.
*The time I spend with Brynn each night before bed. I ask her the same questions each night (What is something that made you happy today? What is something you did nice for someone today? What is something that made you sad today? What is something you're thankful for?). We both cherish that time together, and it has led to some really great conversations with her.
*That Dave and I recently celebrated our 15th anniversary
*Random surprises (a drawing from one of the kids, noticing that Dave did all the dishes, a hug "just because", etc)
*That a kiss can still be what my kids needs to fix an owie or make the world all right for them again
*When Brynn and Collin rush to give each other a big hug when they've been apart for awhile
*Celebrating someone's accomplishment with them
*The relationship I have with my parents
*Funny movies
*Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies (especially when they are a bit on the crispy side--I know, we are weird to prefer the slightly burnt ones).
*How Brynn has made an art out of arranging the pillows and stuffed animals on her bed each morning
*A fresh start after a bad or hectic day
*Each of my kids' beautiful blue eyes
*Reading a scripture that really addresses a question or aspect of my life
*When we can make it through an entire church meeting without any of the kids having to be taken out
*Checking on Collin when I 1st wake up in the morning and finding him asleep in his bed surrounded by random things like a flashlight, a dress up mask, his foam sword, and a light saber
*How cute it is when Eden plays with her hair while she drinks her bottle
*When Dave gets really excited about a work project or something else going on in his life
*That we've been able to have 3 beautiful children, who were each "surprises" after being told that "it would take a miracle to get pregnant on our own"
*Knowing the kids really get something I've tried teaching them
*That despite a challenging year, I am able to really truly feel happy again

No comments: