Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Update on my mom



I am just loving that picture of my mom with Eden! As most people who read my blog (all 2 of you?) know, my mom had a stroke nearly 3 months ago. Since then, she has gone from needing help with each step, struggling to use a walker, to conquering the walker and using a cane. Half the time now, she forgets to grab the cane as she walks around her house. She struggles with double vision, but her vision has improved since she had the stroke, so we are hoping that it will continue to get better for her. She has gone from needing someone next to her 24 hours (so she wouldn't fall and get hurt) to having people around, but mainly just for their company and to ease our minds.

I know it has been such a struggle for her, but I am so thankful for all the progress she has made. In the 1st few days after her stroke, I remember thinking over and over that I would take her however she was if I could just have her around for longer. I have been blessed beyond what I could have hoped for. I am so thankful that my kids can still have a relationship with her and spend time with her I am thankful that she is still here to offer her wonderful advice and parenting tips to me. I am thankful that I still have one of my very best friends to hang out with on a regular basis. I am thankful for the way she continues to pull the family together and the insight that she gives us all.

And I am thankful for my dad who has been a rock for us through it all. He has been absolutely amazing and put everything aside for her when she has needed him. I don't know why I was chosen to have the amazing parents that I have (probably because Heavenly Father knew my weaknesses and needs, and knew I would need their strength and example), but this experience has shown me again just how lucky I really am.


Since then, she has spent a few weeks in in-patient rehab, then moved back home and had therapists (occupational, speech, physical) come to her house, then began outpatient rehab a couple times a week. It has been such a rollercoaster (for her most of all), but she has done so well. I can't even explain how proud I am of her! I have witnessed her go through various trials and challenges, and through each one, she has been such a good example to me.

3 comments:

Jill said...

sorry about your mom. I feel like I can relate to some of what you wrote, because my mom was just diagnosed with cancer. You just don't think those things are going to happen to YOU. And then they do and you find yourself fearing the worst and trying to hold on to life as it is now. Anyway, hope you will continue to see progress!

Unknown said...

So glad to hear that she is doing so much better!

Pam said...

I'm thrilled to get his update on your Mom. She and your Dad are great examples to us all. Give her our love.