Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Best Friends, Siblings

I am totally loving the relationship that my kids have right now. Of course, they have their share of fighting and annoying each other, but they are also each other's best friend. Would it be too much to hope that they stay this close forever? Here are some recent snapshots that capture their relationship:

Brynn built a "secret train" and only Collin was invited to ride on it

After Collin being awoken by Brynn several times (why is it that 3 year olds just can't get how to WHISPER?!), I implemented a rule that if she wakes him up, she has to go in his room and entertain him for the 5 minutes or whatever that it takes me to finish what I am working on. Fortunately or unfortunately, she doesn't really see this as punishment, and when he wakes up for any reason, she asks if she can go talk to Collin. On this particular day, I went in his room after only a few minutes of leaving them alone, and this is what I found. Brynn had emptied almost every book and toy into Collin's crib. He could barely move around, but he didn't seem to mind.

The other day, Brynn and Collin were playing in the living room when it suddenly became quiet. Any mom knows that is usually a hint that some big mess is being made or mischief is being gotten into. I walked into the room prepared to get after them, but instead found them both snuggled up on the couch together. They sure can melt my heart.

Brynn is also so sweet to include her little brother in her playtime with her friends. Now I know that will change as she gets older, but for now I am just loving how she includes him.
Even though he can't talk much yet, it is obvious how much Collin loves his big sis too. He usually wakes up well before her each morning, and always acts bored and impatient as he waits for her to get up too. He has been known to sneak into her room and wake her up himself. When she finally does get up, Collin gets so excited and often goes straight over to give her a hug and kiss. Since he was a newborn, nobody could get him to smile and laugh as much as Brynn could. There aren't many better sounds in the world than that of your kids laughing and playing together.

1 comment:

Angie said...

How sweet. I love that she is such a cute little mother/friend to her brother. The snuggled up picture is priceless.