Sunday, May 22, 2011

More from May...

Wow, no posts for months, and then 4 in one day! I am on a roll!

A couple weeks ago, the kindergarteners at Brynn's school sang a song during the school assembly, and I was able to go and watch. Brynn was really excited in the days leading up to it, but I think she got a little shy when it came down to it. She hid behind the kids in front of her for most of the song. I was still happy I went, because I saw the way she lit up when she saw me sitting in the audience. (That's her in the second row, hiding behind the girl in the black butterfly shirt).



There she is in the pink dress, with alot of her class.

Two of my kids are very picky eaters, and they would rather not eat at all than eat something they don't want/like. One of the things they will usually eat, however, are smoothies. I make them with yogurt, fruit, and even a handful of spinach, and they LOVE them. I recently bought popsicle molds, and we have started freezing smoothies into popsicles. It is a great way to get them to eat something very healthy that tastes like a treat. I gave Eden one the other day, and despite the expression on her face, she liked it. It isn't the cleanest snack (proof below), but I think this summer will include alot of smoothies and smoothie pops!

Another food related thing we like to do in our family is go to breakfast on Saturday mornings. We have a few favorite places we go to, but we have been going to Joe's Farm Grill quite a bit lately. It is an old house that has been converted to a small restaurant. They have picnic tables and huge trees on the grounds where you can eat your meal, so we have been taking advantage of the nice weather we have had lately and eating outside. A couple weeks ago, we were supposed to meet my parents there for breakfast, and we got there really early. I took the kids for a walk at the community garden they have next to the restaurant. It was so fun to look at all the foods growing. The kids let me take a few pictures of them while we were there (some more reluctantly than others).

My sweet freckled little boy:


My "busy" little toddler (ack--I can still call her baby right?)

And my cute, cooperative model:


I must also note, that it is a tradition for some of us that we don't do our hair before we go out to breakfast on Saturdays. ;)

Speaking of gardens, we ate our 1st zucchini from our own little garden last week. I am not very consistent with watering. Frankly, I have no idea what I am doing all together. Most of our zucchini aren't looking so good so that may have been our 1st and last one, but we have alot of tomatoes growing that we are awaiting their ripening. It has been a good experience for me, as well as for Brynn and Collin. They love helping with the garden, and especially checking on how things are growing.

Brynn continues to be a help in the kitchen. We love making muffins, bread, and cookies the most, and the entire family loves helping to consume them!


Finally, I just had to get a quick picture from today. Brynn, our family's event coordinator, put together a jump rope contest for us. She cut out round "paddles" for the judges to write their scores, and set up 3 barstools for the judges to sit. (If this sounds a little familiar, that's because we have been watching alot of Dancing With the Stars around here. Well, Brynn and I have at least.) The picture below shows 2 of the 3 judges (the 3rd had a very short attention span. Well, that and she was removed from the judges seat when she kept trying to stand on it and dance around.) I had just completed my round of jump roping, and as you can guess from my scores (a 10 and a 10,000), I must have impressed the judges with my back wards jumping and then my fancy arm cross jumping. Yes, I was good! Dave would have probably beat my scores, but he was disqualified when he left to use the bathroom. Brynn did well herself, and Collin hopes to make a comeback after he learns how to jump rope.

No comments: