Monday, December 29, 2008

Christmas Day, Part 3

For lunch we went over to my Aunt Roslyn's house to spend time with my mom's side of the family. Before lunch, however, my Grandma had a pinata for the kids. Every year when I was growing up, my Grandma would have a pinata for the grandkids on Christmas day. It is a fun Christmas memory for me, and it was fun to share that tradition with my kids this year. Collin was the youngest one there, so he got the first turn...

Then it was Brynn's turn...
My dad helped the kids find candy from the broken pinata...
Checkin' out the stash...
Meanwhile, Brynn was on a mission to fill her bag with candy...
This pinata was especially fun, because the cones doubled as princess hats...
(or prince hats...)
The pinata finished up just as it started sprinkling. Dave taught Collin to catch the raindrops...
Brynn playing after lunch with one of the "toys" at Roslyn's
That afternoon, the 4 of us went back home to try to get a little nap in. Unfortunately that didn't go as planned. Around 4 o'clock, Brynn started complaining of a stomach ache, and for the next 4 1/2 hours, she was in so much pain that she would scream with any slight movement. It hurt her to sit or stand, so I spent the afternoon and evening holding her and trying not to move a muscle. Occasionally she would start shaking from the pain. Finally I called the doctor on call, and she recommended that I take Brynn to the ER. My mom headed over to stay with Collin so that Dave and I could be with Brynn, and I started getting ready to go. We were so relieved, however, when Brynn started showing major improvement by the time my mom arrived. She was chatting away and started playing with her toys and wanting food again. Obviously the afternoon was not part of the "ideal Christmas" that I was talking about, but she ended up being fine and not having to go to the hospital. I guess she just had a bad gas bubble or something. Poor girl! By that point, we were all exhausted and we were off to bed.

The following evening, we had a Christmas get-together with Dave's family. I didn't get any pictures, but we enjoyed extending the Christmas fun an extra day. We had a yummy lasagne dinner at Cheryl and Jerry's. Everyone was able to be there with the exception of Laurie and her family who live in Michigan (and we also missed seeing Ralph and Ida who live in Utah). We had a nice evening, and it was the perfect way to wrap up our Christmas celebrations.

No comments: