Monday, April 7, 2008

The Little Moments

This past weekend was the LDS General Conference. I always seem to forget how much I love conference until I am actually watching it. For me, it's sort of like New Year's--a chance to reflect on where I'm at in my life and where I would like to be, and make some "resolutions" to help me get there. It is always so uplifting to hear how the leaders of our church speak about women, and especially mothers. They hold the role of mothers in such high regard. It is very motivating when someone can see potential in you when you don't always see it in yourself. And when you're doing so many things for your family that often go unappreciated, its nice to know that someone else sees the value of it all. There was one talk in particular, I felt was specifically for me and some things I have been struggling with lately. One part of the talk that especially stuck out to me is that as mothers we need to appreciate the little moments. I know that is something I really need to work on. I don't hold onto those sweet little moments that my kids give me. As soon as the difficult moments come I tend to forget the good ones too quickly. It was ironic, because as I was listening to this talk, I was laying on the couch with a migraine, and my daughter kept coming up to me and rubbing my arm and giving me little kisses and making sure the blanket was covering me. She would ask me throughout the day if my headache still hurt and if I was OK. She and I have had some tough days lately, so that was definitely one of those little moments I need to remember.

We had a few other sweet little moments today as well. This morning was Collin's 15 month well-check, and his dr was asking if Collin was speaking yet. I have to admit that is a topic that I have been very aware of lately. I told the dr how Collin has only ever said 3 words and its rare that he even says those. He rarely "babbles" and basically grunts when he is trying to communicate. He's still young, so I haven't reached the level of being concerned yet, but it has been on mind lately. Any way, we went to my mom's house this afternoon, and Collin was pretending to talk on a "phone" with her. He would hold it to her ear and then hold it to my mom's ear. My mom kept saying, "Hello!" After they went back and forth like that a few times, my mom noticed that Collin was responding as well. Sure enough, he had started saying "hello" too. Not only that but he repeated it over and over for the next 5 minutes. Maybe that was Heavenly Father's little gift to me so that I won't worry so much about Collin. (For those that know Collin's history, you can probably understand why I'm prone to worry in regards to his health and development). Just moments later, Brynn started dancing around with a plastic Barbie guitar and Collin was standing in front of her dancing right along too. They were having so much fun! Like I said, they are little moments, but those are the moments that I need to hang onto and appreciate more. I am so blessed to have both of my kids. They are my miracles (literally) and I am so grateful to be their mom.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I loved this post. And I also loved that talk. Good things to remember.