Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Little "Me" Time

So lately I've really been realizing the importance of taking some time to do things that are not necessarily mom/wife related. I remember before we had kids thinking about how some women became so caught up in being a mom that they seemed to lose all the other parts of themselves in the process. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a mom, and am grateful each day for the time I get to spend with my kids. However, I've had moments lately where I've felt like I was losing a little of my identity outside of that role. Fortunately, I have a husband who encourages me to take some time for myself, and he's been putting in a little overtime as a dad recently in order for me to do that.

Last weekend, he got a pretty good taste of what a normal day is for me. I went to a photo workshop all day while Dave spent the day entertaining the kids. It was so much fun to spend an entire day around a bunch of other women and learn more about photography. I've realized how much I thrive on creativity and being inspired by others' creativity. I feel lucky that all those years we were trying to have a baby that I was able to "stay at home" and really take the time I wouldn't have otherwise had to explore some of my interests and talents. I took classes on painting and drawing, I learned how to refinish furniture, I got started in photography, I scrapbooked every picture we owned up until that point...I just got to discover what things I enjoy doing. Many of those interests have been put on the backburner for awhile, but I have maintained an interest in photography. I got to learn more about natural light photography at the workshop and learned some fun new tips for working on them in Photoshop. Its fun to see my outdoor photos improve already.


Yesterday I had some more "me" time as I attended a cousin's bridal shower, did a little shopping, and then met up with a friend for a girls' night out. My friend Kelly invited me to go with some of her neighbor friends to dinner at Cheesecake Factory (one of my faves) and then a movie (a chick flick, of course!). It was a great group of girls, and we had so much fun!

One of my favorite parts of "me" time is how much it makes me miss and appreciate my family. It makes me a better mom and wife. When I get to step back from those roles a bit, I see some of the little things about it that I tend to take for granted. Its a win-win for all of us!

1 comment:

The Kriloff Klan said...

Amen Sista! I am feeling like I need a little me time too! Schools almost out & then I think I am going to get a sitter!