Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Weekend in the Pines

Beware of some serious photo-overload ahead! We had such a nice weekend up at my parents' cabin. We haven't traveled much since Collin was born, so it was especially nice to get away from our schedules and responsibilities and just relax (well, as much as you can relax with two little ones). The kids absolutely love my parents, so they were happy to spend so much time with them. It is fun to see my kids getting their own memories there, since I grew up going to that same cabin. The cabin used to belong to my dad's side of the family, so I have many memories of my own grandparents there. I remember when we all met up there, and somehow crammed about 12 people into the 2 bedrooms and family room. It was like one huge slumber party with my siblings, our cousins and my grandparents all sleeping in the family room. I don't think I will ever forget just how loud my grandparents could snore. Between their snoring and all of us kids talking, we never really got much sleep. The next morning, both of my grandparents would always insist that they didn't snore. I remember my grandma putting together little boxes of craft items or games to keep the grandkids entertained. I love occasionally finding something at the cabin that still has her handwriting on it. I remember sliding down the neighbor's steep driveway on sleds in the wintertime. (I was a little sad to see that neighbor's little place being replaced this weekend by a new, much bigger home and that driveway gone.) As a child, I used to complain about having to leave my friends and home and go spend time at the cabin where there was "nothing to do". Now I appreciate the quiet and the time where there is "nothing to do" but be together as a family.


My dad in the hammock with Collin. Both of my kids love swinging in the hammock with their grandpa. It's my dad's secret weapon for a fussy baby, and it works almost every time.



Brynn taught Collin how to dance this weekend. They spent many hours perfecting their moves, and even added some singing to their routines. (Aren't C's pajamas the cutest? Dave calls them his "Hugh Hefners".)




Brynn loved having TWO dogs to play with (ours and my parents'). She was so excited when we told her that we were bringing them both to our house for the next week (we're dog-sitting for my parents). This picture is horrible from a technical aspect, but look at that smile on her face--sheer happiness.



My mom had fingerpuppets for the kids to play with. After some serious concentration, C figured out how to make it move by himself.


Laughing with his grandma.



My dad with his little buddy.



Story time with their grandma. All weekend, they would bring books to my mom to read to them.



Peek-a-boo!

Brynn appreciated having a few moments to herself.

Of course, moments all to yourself never last long in our family. Good thing these two love each other so much!

2 comments:

The Kriloff Klan said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Your kiddos are so cute!

Angie said...

What a fun weekend getaway.
Seeing the dog pic made me think of Baron.
Isn't it great to have grandparents who love to play, snuggle, read to, and soothe their grandkids?