Saturday, August 23, 2008

Heavy

This morning we attended the funeral services for my uncle Doug. It was a pretty heavy day, as we continue to see how much his presence on this earth will be missed. However, it was also filled with laughter at the memories that were shared. I am sure Doug would have appreciated that. This past week, I have been so overwhelmed to hear how many people's lives have been touched by Doug, whether in big ways or in small. And I have heard the same things repeated over and over, one of which was how he crammed a whole lifetime into his short 48 years here. He took advantage of every moment he had. I've also heard so much about how he would take the time to really get to know others and was always helping other people and making those around him feel better about themselves. He had such a genuine love for his family and spent so much time with them. What a great example to leave for all of us.

Another thing I have been reminded of this past week is how much our Heavenly Father loves us all and is aware of each of us. Even during times of sorrow (especially during times of sorrow), we can see His hand in our lives. I am so thankful for the faith and knowledge that I have of Heavenly Father's plan for us.

My prayers are also with the couple who were on the plane with my uncle. I hope they and their families will also feel comfort and strength during the challenges they are faced with.

2 comments:

The Kriloff Klan said...

I am so sorry that you had to do that this morning. I have learned more about your uncle from Stephanie's sister. He seemed like an amazing man! So many people are connected to these three Stephanie, Christian, & Doug. Our prayers continue for Doug's family as well as the Nielsen's.

Amy said...

I knew Stephanie through blogging, so I posted something about the accident. But Ang just told me that Doug was your uncle. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. Your post about the funeral & the feelings surrounding his life are beautiful.