Monday, August 18, 2008

Numb

I have so much going through my head right now, I feel like I need to get it out somewhere. This weekend ended up being a very somber one. My uncle Doug was in a plane crash on Saturday and was seriously injured. He passed away last night. He and his family have been in our constant prayers and thoughts, and yet it does not seem real. Doug was one of those people who lived life to the fullest. He was very active, and would often bike for miles with his oldest son to our family get-togethers. I've always been impressed at how involved he was as a dad. He was also very knowledgeable and was not afraid to stand up for what he believed in. My aunt and uncle have lived out of state for most of the past 30 years, but were able to move back here 5 or 6 years ago. I am so glad that my aunt and their kids are surrounded by family as they face the challenges that are now in front of them. I am also extremely grateful to know that families are eternal and that they will be reunited with him again one day. This weekend has really caused me to reflect on how short life is and how important it is not to get caught up in things that are truly not important. It has been a reminder to me that I need to let go of silly little annoyances I hold onto or my own selfishness, and just appreciate each moment I have with my family. Yesterday, Dave shared with me the article that he was reading in preparation to go home teaching. It is entitled "May We So Live" by President Monson. What appropriate timing. There were a few quotes in the article that stood out to me. President Monson said, "How fragile life, how certain death. We do not know when we will be required to leave this mortal existence. And so we ask, 'What are we doing with today?'....May we resolve from this day forward to fill our hearts with love. May we go the extra mile to include in our lives any who are lonely or downhearted or who are suffering in any way...May we live so that when that final summons is heard, we may have no serious regrets, no unfinished business, but will be able to say with the Apostle Paul, 'I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith.' " There is peace in knowing the good and full life that my uncle lived. He will be missed!

5 comments:

Angie said...

Oh, it hurts my heart to read this post. I'm so sorry for your family.

The Kriloff Klan said...

I am so sorry for your family. I heard of the plane crash as you uncle was with my friends' cousin & his wife. They were in our prayers & we will continue to pray for their family!

Andrea said...

Mel, I am so sorry about the tragic loss of your Uncle Doug. I heard about the crash and the Nielson's on board, but didn't know Doug is your uncle. It's so sobering to have this happen to a loved one. It really does make you think about how you live each day. It sounds like Doug lived life to the fullest and with no regrets. My prayers are with his wife, kids and the rest of your family.
Andrea

Liv said...

I found you through CJane, and I just wanted to express my sympathies regarding your Uncle's passing.

Kate said...

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Our prayers are with you and especially his wife and children.